Thursday, July 2, 2015

Wanderlust ~ Skye Warren

SYNOPSIS
Can love come from pain?
Evie always dreamed of seeing the world, but her first night at a motel turns into a nightmare. Hunter is a rugged trucker willing to do anything to keep her—including kidnapping. As they cross the country in his rig, Evie plots her escape, but she may find what she's been looking for right beside her.
Wanderlust is a dark erotic novel which explores dubious consent, captivity, and power play. Not intended for those uncomfortable with the subject matter or under eighteen.



Five gut-wrenching corsets


Captivity doesn’t always mean physically captive- one can be held emotionally or mentally captive as well. Wanderlust includes characters that are held captive in their own prisons as well as the prison of others. Growing up with an agoraphobic mother, Evie has lived a sheltered and protected life. The world is evil- full of rapists and terrible, selfish people- at least according to Evie’s mother. When Evie escapes her home prison she isn’t prepared for the real world and just what her mother warned her about happens. Taken by an enigmatic trucker named Hunter, Evie must decide whether it’s safer to be the devil you know or escape and enter the real world once again.

He smelled of musk and spice, and I turned my face into him, letting my tears soak his shirt, clinging to him as if he could save me even while his arms held me captive.

I cried for having stayed with my mother too long, not knowing what a normal life would have been like. I cried for finally summoning the strength to leave, only to have all my worst fears prove true. Most of all, I cried because I felt relief to have been captured.

The outside world was terrifying, but here inside this large tin box on wheels, none of that could touch me. Only he could touch me.



*sniff* This book was so good!

My emotions were running rampant as I read this book- to identifying with the stifling adolescence Evie went through, to discovering the hard way that the world isn’t always sunshine and rainbows and dealing with the aftermath. Evie was such a well-rounded, naïve, innocent character that she was impossible not to love and root for. Also, my heart hurt for her when she hurt- her emotions came off the pages and difficult scenes were truly difficult to read because I enjoyed her character so much.


Hunter was a different type of anti-hero than I’ve read recently in dark romance and I appreciated the difference. Hunter comes from a very pure past but then again, the real world darkened him as he darkens Evie’s world.

I thought this book was perfectly paced and once I was sucked in I couldn’t put it down. I always like when there’s something “extra” or behind the scenes and this book weaved in the symbolic presence of Niagara Falls and emotionally attached the feelings one would feel visiting to the plot. It’s hard to explain fully- so I’d recommend reading this book and experiencing it for yourself!

Definitely a 5 star read for me and I can’t recommend this enough!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24753563-wanderlust

0 comments:

Post a Comment