Friday, March 10, 2017

Cirque: Act 1 ~ Ashleigh Giannoccaro

A boy looked in a window, to see a naughty show Through the pane of pain, the master clown did blow The circus is a holy tent, the keeper of my rhyme Where I forged my chains, creating this pantomime Pretending to be normal, I wait until after dark Then I paint the frown on, get a whore from the park At the bottom of that bed was a darling in a chest She watched with big eyes, horror hooking her from rest She dances for the maniac, twirling on her strings I will make her mine, sharing damaged things I will be her riddle, she will help me grin So why does she run away, she has to let me in No one loves the clown, not even the midget We’ve gone too far, she will know my secret Love can break the hardest mask, I know this to be true Nightmares have hearts too, I only needed you.





Nothing is ever all shining lights and glitter, even when we don't see it there is darkness, a bad side of the coin. 

As a young lad Sivan spent many evenings at the circus with his family. He'd sneak off to a familiar trailer and watch with fascination the carnal events taking place between one particular clown and showgirl. Since childhood, Sivan's obsession started and lasted into his adulthood. Now hiding away from the regular world he keeps his secret where it belongs: tucked and hidden away.

Imogene comes from a trying past yet she has circus in her blood- she can't escape and wouldn't want to- she's a natural. Once Sivan sets his eyes on her the attraction is overpowering. But what happens in a world where no one loves clowns?

When I picked this up I knew it would be unlike anything I've read and suffice to say I was happily impressed! This was soooo good! And so unique. I did also get the added thrill of taunting my fiance that I was reading about a sexy clown doing naughty clown things (he is TERRIFIED of clowns). 


One thing that really stood out to me was the classic hedonism in this author's writing style- even the words were sexy. The way the dancers moved, the application of make-up, everything had a sexually charged description. Even when there wasn't a lot of action happening, I was lost in the pages. 

The characters themselves were also a welcomed change- it isn't often to read a darker romance with a feisty girl with a pixie haircut! No doe eyes here! Imogene was something new and a character unlike any I've ever read before. I couldn't imagine a better fallen hero like Sivan who could make a clown come alive in our day and age. Sivan was a rough and gruff rugby player but deep inside he's truly his own sadistic version of a sad clown.


Overall an amazing read & one that will stay with me for a long time. I highly recommend this book to readers across various genres!! xx

My theme song for the book: *Dirty Pretty by In This Moment*



0 comments:

Post a Comment