Monday, August 28, 2017

Stranger ~ B. Bennett ~ Beauty & the Beast with a Horrific Twist

Content Warning: This book contains blood, guts, strong sexual themes, nonconsensual sex, and other atrocious acts. Reader be warned.


He was a stranger.
My first instinct was not to trust him, but then I learned... sometimes the most beautiful people have the ugliest scars.


Fairy tales don’t exist. They’re created to tempt us of what could be, but never will. I’m no prince, and she’s no princess. We’re two people with very bad luck, and somehow, we found each other amidst the chaos. 

Monsters barged in young Gabrielle’s world and caused irreparable damage. Monsters hurt her…but a beast saved her. Now hidden away in a regal mountain cabin, Gabrielle is kept for the winter by a man who wears a burlap mask to cover his face. What is underneath the mask and what is he hiding?

I came from the land of tailgate parties, promiscuity, and teenage drug addiction. ~Gabrielle 

I merely existed when I found her, I lived when she let me know her, and the last phase is her abandonment –resulting in the death of a lonely beast. ~Beast 

The Beast, a scarred and lonely man has only ever wanted something to love. When he found Gabrielle he decided to take a chance on hope- hope that one person in the world could see past his scars.

Well this was definitely one of those books once finished I found myself asking “da fuq did I just read?!” The book had its fair share of angst, gore, and hopeless thoughts between the two main characters. At times I found some of the passages and thought patterns very repetitive. His “boyish hair” and her “wanting to save him” and “set him free from his past” became a little much at times- I would’ve liked more action! 

However, I did enjoy this author’s take on Beauty & the Beast. The Beast had a very sad and depressing backstory that was unique from anything I’ve ever read before. This one was a hard one for me to rate as I did tear up at times and found some of it profoundly sad. But, I felt one of Gabrielle’s decisions in the ending negated the whole moral and meaning of the story. I thought there could have been so much more… 

A beast he is, and it shows through his feral demeanor. There is nothing ugly about this beast. He’s rough around the edges, yet so unabashedly beautiful. His honesty is art; his soul is within reach, and it sends a pang to my heart when I think of his vulnerable state. 


Overall, I did enjoy the story and characters. I personally wouldn’t label this as horror more along the lines of dark romance though. I’m interested in future re-tellings by this author as well. 3.5 stars xx





*Review by R.Nicole*

0 comments:

Post a Comment