Friday, August 21, 2015

Meet Me in the Dark ~ J.A. Huss

SYNOPSIS
He’s empty, inhuman, dishonest, and cruel. She’s never wanted anyone more.
Sydney has lived in fear for eight years after freelance assassin, Merc, failed to rescue her from a cult-like militia group. Left in the hands of a sadistic man, she did whatever it took to survive. But Merc’s last words gave her hope. Hope he’d be back to finish the job.
Merc knows just what to do with a fearful girl like Sydney after he was betrayed by her father that night. He wields sex, drugs, lies, and love like weapons—and Sydney is his target.
He’s in control. He’s always in control. But Sydney Channing is not what she appears. And Merc’s only redeeming act, the very one that made Sydney’s life a living hell, might just be his worst mistake yet.

WARNING: Meet Me In The Dark is non-traditional DARK CAPTIVE ROMANTIC SUSPENSE. It is not intended for sensitive readers.

I have been the good girl, the bad girl, the defiant girl, the sexy girl, the compliant girl. And it gets me nowhere. ~ Sydney


WARNING: Meet Me In The Dark is non-traditional DARK CAPTIVE ROMANTIC SUSPENSE.

...at first I thought- Yeah okay, I'm a seasoned dark reader- what kind of "non-traditional" captive romance can there be?! But I was pleasantly surprised and can say this was a non-traditional dark read.

Sydney has lived a terrible life, always under the thumb of a power-driven man, beginning with her father and then with her "boyfriend" Garrett. One day vicious Garrett disappears and Sydney believes her life is on track for normality. She's wrong. Taken and drugged on the eve of her would-be wedding to nice Brett, Sydney finds herself locked in a dark basement.

Merric Case will be do anything for his pseduo-sister Sasha, including kidnapping. He's been playing a dangerous game of chess with Garrett and believes Sydney holds all of the answers. But is Sydney too far gone, too ruined to help him?

This was an odd book for me- I really liked the content and the direction of the book I just couldn't grasp the execution of the story. I never felt like I really knew any of the characters because they all had multiple personalities and were players in a dangerous game. I thought the idea of the Company and how life inside happened was fascinating but it was never truly explained enough for me- I didn't fully "get it" - I wanted more background.

Overall, I still enjoyed the read and give the author props because this was one challenging puzzle to figure out! Perhaps I should have read the other books first?

Sydney is collateral damage. She is nothing more than a pawn. She is weak and pathetic in all the ways that Sasha is strong and brave. ~ Merc

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25179280-meet-me-in-the-dark

0 comments:

Post a Comment