Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Pretty Stolen Dolls ~ Ker Dukey& K. Webster

Benny loves his pretty little dolls. As long as they do exactly as they're told. He keeps them perfect by brushing their hair and gives them pretty dresses to wear. He likes to toy with them late at night. One so timid but the other likes to fight. When his favorite doll runs away... despite the other doll promising to stay, his heart becomes broken and he can't help but cry. He wants her back home or his pretty little doll must die. Have you ever had to make a decision that haunts you every single day for the rest of your life…the life you stole back? I have. I ran for my survival, rocks and twigs cutting into the soles of my feet, my lungs burning and screaming for rest, every muscle tensed and fighting along with me for existence. I left her. I ran, ran, ran—from Benny and his lone, pretty little doll—until I couldn’t remember where to find them again. I’m sorry.




It is an anxious, sometimes a dangerous thing to be a doll. Dolls cannot choose; they can only be chosen; they cannot 'do'; they can only be done by. ~ Rumer Godden 


Sisters Jade and Macy Phillips disappeared without a trace as preteens. Where most girls were discovering make-up and reading Teen Vogue, the Phillips sisters lived in the basement dungeon of a demented man named Benjamin or “Benny.” Benny loved to dress his dolls up in frilly dresses and use them for his sadistic games but when one doll escapes he will do anything to get her back…

8 years after escaping Jade cannot get over what happened to her in Benny’s basement. She is determined to find her sister and bring justice where it’s due. As a successful detective she has been waiting for a lead for years- never giving up. When Benny comes back to haunt her she enters a powerful cat and mouse game. 

Such a pretty little doll... 



A quarter of the way through Jade reminded me a lot of Mariska Hargitay- she was determined, self-assured, and on top of every new lead or case that came in resembling hers. A woman with a mission and no time for silly emotions. Towards the end however I felt Jade’s character becoming more and more unlikable to me- she became whiny, careless, and seemed to lose any sense of professionalism that drew me into her character in the beginning. *sigh* Maybe it’s just me…

Overall, the plot was amazing and something entirely new to me. I loved the mix of suspense, SVU –esque mystery, and the whole creepy concept of the dolls. ACKK they’re so creepy! 


The end had a major twist and revelation which I wish would have maybe happened sooner- my interest dipped for a while during the middle. I did have to go back and re-read several passages to understand what happened but I was definitely surprised! Now I have to get my hands on book two to find out what happens next! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment