Saturday, September 30, 2017

Banned Book Review ~ The Wild by K. Webster

I brought them to the wilderness because we couldn’t cope with our reality. 
The plan was to make a new life that didn’t include heartache. 
No people. No technology. No interference. 
Just us. 
A chance to piece together what was broken. 
But the wilderness is untamed and harsh. 
Brutal and unforgiving. 
It doesn’t give a damn about your feelings. 
Tragedy lives there too. 
No escaping the truths that won’t let you go. 
All you can do is survive where love, no matter how beastly, is the only thing you can truly count on. 
Confusing. Wrong. Twisted. Beautiful. Sick. 
Love is wild. 
And we’re going to set it free. 

WARNING: 
The Wild is an extremely taboo story. Most will find that the themes in this book will make you incredibly uncomfortable or maybe even offend you. This book is only for the brave, the open-minded, and the ones who crave love in even the most dismal of situations. Extreme sexual themes and violence in certain scenes, which could trigger emotional distress, are found in this story. If you are sensitive to heavy taboo themes, then this story is not for you. 
Seriously, you’ve been warned. 
Don’t say I didn’t try. 
You’re probably going to cringe many, many, many times. 
Even if you’re on the fence, it’s probably not a good idea to proceed. 
However, if you’re intrigued and fearless and kind of sort of trust me, then carry on. This book is for you. 


We grow up learning norms and behaviors that are deemed acceptable. Yet when all of life's easiness is stripped from us and we're thrust into something arduous, those norms are forgotten. 

Like everyone else I heard this was BANNED and jumped on the bandwagon to figure out what was SO taboo. Now to me it seems it was only a case of an “indie” author because I’ve read John Saul and V.C. Andrews in the past with the same type of taboo element as this book held. I’ve seen similar scandalous stories displayed in Lifetime movies as well. But hey—everything is subjective.

First off, I loved the concept of this book. The premise was intriguing and something totally out of the box compared to others in the like genre. A wealthy Californian family sells off their belongings and heads up to the Alaskan wilderness to start a simplistic life. Back to basics. However, tragedy strikes and forever changes the paths of the characters.

My fiancé rolled over and asked, “What did you think of your book? Did you like it?” and you know what- no I didn’t “like” it. Not because of the content but because of the characters. I did not connect to either of them and find myself in the minority here. To me, Devon, the female main character was a little young deviant sex-crazed sociopath and Reed, the male main character, a sad sorry excuse of a cave man. His dialect was not aged appropriate and drove me nuts- he did not act like a MAN but an angsty f*ckboy. Reed promised Devon he’d never let anything happen to her and protect her and billion times and every bad thing that approached them he f*cked it up. Seriously?! Okay, he got one bear. *eyeroll*UGH

I’m about to remark an oxymoron but despite being level 10 taboo there was a little too much fluff and passionate love-making for me. I wanted more of a mindf*ck.

Despite my personal disconnection with the plot and characters, the author wrote some intense gory scenes and for that, I give her props. The image of the tragedy in the beginning of this book is one mental image that will stay with me for some time to come.

Overall, I have to rate this 3 stars because some things about the book I really liked and some things I didn’t.


0 comments:

Post a Comment