Thursday, September 28, 2017

DeVil ~ Ker Dukey



Evi Devil. 

Yes, that’s really my name.

The irony is not lost on me.

I was created from two evil souls and have the name to prove it. 
Devil worshipers, perverts, murderer. Is all terms used to describe the parents I refuse to remember. My mind won’t allow me to. 

And why would I want to? 

One born of dirty blood running through her veins can never truly be clean from its murky hue. 

No matter what they try to tell me happened in my past, my mind denies me access, therefore how can I know it’s true? 

How can I believe that’s what I’m born from?

Glimpses of my past haunt me, the screams of terror echo in the silent darkness of my memories, trying to remind me that my Mother went from room to room butchering our family. 

I’ve learned from scars that I suffered abuse and that my Father and siblings weren’t my Mother’s only victims. 

Hearing what they tell me.

Reading the words printed in the papers. None of it can prepare me for what’s to come. 

My biggest lesson is learning that some memories we suppress for a reason.
"Sometimes the evil around us creates a monster because the world sometimes needs one to rid the world of worse monsters.” 



Evi cannot remember her life before age 9. A wonderful set of people adopted her from an unknown dark past and for years she felt grateful for her ignorance. As Evi grows older she works with a therapist to try and remember the memories she repressed. Receiving a letter from her deceased mother- alleged murderer of Evi’s family- Evi is thrust back into her original hometown.

Back in the house that holds Evi’s secrets, her now & then neighbor friend, Max, shows up and still feels a connection to Evi. Even though she can’t remember him she knows he was important to her and holds the key to certain events from the past. As more and more memories come to surface, nothing is as it seems and her past might be more sinister than she imagined.

Can a flower blossom in dry earth where nothing grows? 



Devil was definitely a different read. It had dark romance and a cinematic-esque crime plot. A wonderful balance of thrills & suspense that almost played like a movie as I was reading. We discover bits and pieces of Evi’s past with the same timeframe as she discovers the past events. At first when I finished I thought I would’ve liked alternate viewpoints but after reflection, the ambiguity of plot added to such a thrilling atmosphere. The tone of this story left me unsettled.

I absolutely adored Max’s character and knew there was something deep about him- a devotion that stretched more than just childhood friends. The chemistry between him & Evi was HOT and dysfunctional all in one. I would love to read a novella or continuation of this book in Max’s viewpoint for sure. *hint hint*

Overall, a Ker Dukey read, what more can I say? Mindf*ck, mystery, & mayhem. 5 stars xx

"We’re the wild flowers, Evi. Unpredictable, untamable, and unstoppable."




*Review by R.Nicole*

0 comments:

Post a Comment